Announcements & Closures
New Kent County is committed to ensuring the health and well-being of our citizens and staff, and wants to help our community as it deals with the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This page will provide updates from the County offices as often as possible to keep the public and our employees aware of decisions from County administration. Check back for updates.
New Kent County Announcements and Closures
All County offices are closed to the public from Monday, March 16, 2020 until further notice. As staff will still report, residents and customers are strongly encouraged to conduct County business online or call (804) 966-9861 and someone will assist you. You may also utilize the drop box located in the parking lot of the County Administration Building. When using the drop box please note the office that should receive the documentation you are leaving. For items that cannot fix in the drop box, you may use the mailing address: PO Box 150, New Kent, VA 23124. (Please clearly label with department name)
- Animal Shelter - at this time we are asking that citizens please refrain from dropping off donations at the shelter or the New Kent Sheriff’s Office until further notice, as we continue to do our part to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- Cooperative Extension - all field units have been authorized to telework. During this time, the New Kent Cooperative Extension office staff may be reached by calling (804) 966-9645 and leaving a message. We will check voicemail twice a day and follow up with you after that. In addition, you may reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your understanding as we continue to serve our community.
- Courts - New Kent County Courthouse Order
Circuit Court Clerk’s Office - will conduct ALL transactions at the front window during normal operating hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., recording ends at 4:00 p.m.). Entry to the record room will be granted on a case-by-case basis with approval from the Clerk. Please use the land records computers in the lobby to conduct research.
General District Court Office - until April 26, 2020, all civil, traffic and criminal matters in the New Kent General District Court, with the exception of emergency matters, will be continued. Proceedings considered emergency matters are listed on the Court’s website, www.vacourts.gov. Please call the General District Court Office (804) 966-9530 with any questions.
Juvenile & Domestic Relations Court Office - effective immediately until April 6, 2020, there will be limited access to the New Kent Juvenile & Domestic Relations (JDR) Office. All cases of the following type have been continued: child support, civil custody & visitation, adult criminal cases (defendant is not incarcerated), and juvenile delinquency criminal cases (juvenile is not in detention). Witnesses subpoenaed for these matters are excused from appearing. If your case has been continued please contact one of the following offices: J&DR Clerk’s Office - (804) 966-9620; Commonwealth’s Attorney - (804) 966-5548. For all other case types, please report to court as scheduled. Only emergency motions will be received at the Courthouse during this period. For Court Service Unit information (juvenile probation) please call (804) 966-9622. This policy is subject to change. Please check periodically for future updates.
- Environmental - New Kent County believes in preserving the Chesapeake Bay, and one of the ways we engage the community is by ensuring that in-ground septic systems are operationally sound. Typically, Septic Pump-Out Notices are sent to affected property owners notifying them of this requirement in the spring of each year.
Due to the current economic climate facing many households, the Environmental Department has opted to delay the mailings at this time. If you have had your septic system serviced or have it serviced in the future, please send us a copy of the invoice. By providing this information, you help us keep our database up-to-date. Offices remain closed to the public, and we greatly appreciate your continued cooperation during this time.
Invoices may be delivered in the following ways:
• Fax a copy to the Environmental Department at 804-966-8531, OR;
• Email a copy to email@example.com, OR;
• Mail a copy to Environmental Department
12007 Courthouse Circle
P. O. Box 150
New Kent, VA 23124
- Fire-Rescue - implementing protocols to protect ourselves, our families, and our community. Beginning last week, any calls for service that are consistent with signs and symptoms of flu or coronavirus, will warrant our responders wearing extra personal protective equipment (PPE). It is imperative that if you call 911 for an emergency, that you inform the dispatcher if you believe you have these symptoms or have been exposed to anyone that may have these symptoms. Please be patient with our dispatchers as they go through their protocols for asking questions. Lastly, until further notice, our fire stations will be closed to the public. While we appreciate the donations and nice gestures from the community in bringing us food and treats, we will no longer be accepting these items until the threat of this virus is over.
- Heritage Public Library - will be closed to the public until further notice. The library offers services that patrons can safely use while the locations are closed. Borrow e-books, e-magazines, and e-audiobooks online from the library through RBDigital. Use our WiFi to download your digital checkouts, check your email, or browse our databases. Our WiFi at both locations is on every day, all day, and can be accessed outside of the library. Note: any items checked out that become overdue while HPL is closed will not be fined.
- Parks & Recreation - all programs and rentals are cancelled starting Saturday, March 14, 2020 through Tuesday, April 21, 2020. Refunds will be issued for programs and rentals and may take 2-4 weeks. Quinton Park is closed effective immediately. Park surfaces, such as picnic tables, benches, and playground equipment are not sanitized. Wahrani Nature Trail will remain open at this time. Please practice social distancing, avoid group hikes, and be aware that park surfaces are not sanitized.
- Public Utilities - notices to water and sewer customers
- Schools - closed for the remainder of the academic year per Governor Ralph Northam’s March 23, 2020 executive order #53. Please visit the NKCPS website concerning continuity of learning and Grab and Go Meals during this period.
- Sheriff’s Office - implementing protocols to attempt to limit “in-person” contact in light of the issues surrounding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) - will still respond to calls and conduct patrols yet residents will experience some non-emergency calls being handled by telephone. The Sheriff’s Office Building, The F. W. Howard, Jr. Law Enforcement Office, will be closed to the public until further notice.
In addition, until the State of Emergency Order has been rescinded, we will be temporarily:
1. Re-scheduling any fingerprinting for employment purposes.
2. Re-scheduling community programs and presentations.
3. Re-scheduling citizen ride-alongs.
4. Asking that any requests for reports can be handled by telephone or email. These requests will be fulfilled and provided by email or U.S. Postal Service.
5. Requesting that all visitors, including vendors, return at a later date, unless it is an emergency.
For emergencies, use 911; for non-emergency calls residents will still call (804) 966-9500. To request copies of reports please call (804) 966-9502, if there is no answer please leave your contact information and you will be contacted as soon as possible. In most cases non-emergency calls will be handled over the phone. All emergency services will still be available for all citizens and visitors to our county. For any additional questions please contact this office at our non-emergency number – (804) 966-9500.
- Social Services - while the office is closed to the public, you may continue to apply for benefits, file renewals and alert your caseworker to any necessary changes for our Medicaid, TANF, SNAP and Child Care Programs. This may be done through the Commonhelp website at www.virginia.commonhelp.org or call 1-855-635-4370.If you need to report an incident of alleged abuse or neglect of a child, please call the CPS Hotline at 1-800-552-7096.
To report incidents of alleged adult abuse or neglect please call 1-888-832-3858.
If you would like to leave a message for your worker, you may call our office at 804-966-1853. Messages will be checked and phone calls returned on a daily basis. Documents may be placed in the drop box outside of the front door of the Human Services Building. The drop box will be checked daily.
- Trash & Recycling Centers - at this time all County trash and recycling centers are open to the public. Brush recycling at the Rt. 618 site will be closed due to grinding from March 31 to April 4. More info on trash & recycling
- Visitors & Commerce Center - located at 7324 Vineyards Parkway (Rt. 106) and will be closed to the public until further notice.
- All County committee, board, and commission meetings have been cancelled for the month of April. The only exceptions to this are the Board of Supervisors meetings on Monday, April 13 at 6:00 p.m. and Wednesday, April 29 at 9:00 a.m.